IMAGES: Maja Wyh | Sincerely Jules | Atlantic Pacific | The Shiny Squirrel | Style Du Monde | The Glitter Guide
It is probably one of the most useful items you can own. Smart, casual, fitted or oversized, whether it’s bleached or dark wash – a denim jacket is the perfect transitional wardrobe piece.
And I have been looking for the perfect one since STUPIDLY selling my amazing dark denim D&G bargain (via Century 21 in NYC) on eBay about five years ago. It was brilliant – hitting the waist so I could wear it with full midi skirts or over sun dresses, slightly fitted, with heavy gold rivets and lined in their signature leopard print. GAH.
They ooze that nonchalent ‘yeah, this old thing’ vibe, particularly casually draped over the shoulders like in some of the street style images above.
Wear a bleached out, faded denim jacket with a smart dress and sandals for a daytime twist and use a dark wash version as you would a blazer, with cropped black trousers and a white shirt.
And even though you might be using it as a light weight layer, it is easy enough to wrap around your waist if the weather does get a bit brighter than usual. And that looks pretty cool too.
Here’s The Edited denim jacket updater:
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT:
- MOTO at Topshop: Wear with a broderie anglaise lace blouse and white midi skirt
- Bleached out denim, Mango: Throw this over a navy and white stripe tee and white boyfriend jeans
- Collarless style, ASOS: Wear this like a blazer and team with black culottes and flat corset lace sandals
- Washed out and fitted, Zara Denim: Roll up the sleeves and pop a bright crew neck jumper and printed pencil skirt underneath
- Dark wash with stretch, FRAME Denim at Net a Porter: The denim brand of the moment makes this an investment option, but the classic shape means you’ll wear with everything. Try with a simple black sundress and Audrey Hepburn-style sunnies
- Boyfriend jacket, Levi’s at ASOS: Love this retro look so much. Drape it over your shoulders with a grey sweatshirt, khaki utility trousers and plimsolls
Do you have a favourite denim jacket? Where is it from? I’d love to know.